Re: [Xen-users] xl nat and wrong IPs

On Mon, 2013-01-28 at 01:28 +0000, Matthias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently switching from toolstacks from xm to xl. Because I have
> a rather complex network setup with my domUs, I use xen's nat
> capabilities. But what works fine with xm behaves slightly strange in
> xl:
>
> I use something like the following to establish a domU interface
> within my vif part:
>
> 'type=vif, mac=00:16:3E:06:DA:B2, ip=192.168.2.1, vifname=fw11,
> model=e1000, script=vif-nat'
>
> Now xm would create an interface called 'fw11' with ip 192.168.2.1 and
> netmask 255.255.255.0. I don't really care about the rest (iptables,
> routes) because I overwrite this from other places anyway..
>
> But xl creates an interface 'fw11' with ip 192.168.2.128 and netmask
> 255.255.255.255 which is defenetly not what I was expecting.

Absolutely!

At one point xl had a bug with handling spaces in the vif specification,
which might cause ip= to not take affect. I thought it was fixed, but
perhaps not?

Do you see an "ip" node under the vif backend device in xenstore?

Can you try dropping the spaces in your configuration file?

> Can somebody explain why xl behaves the way it does and how can I
> change this? I could only find vif-nat setting routes but nothing
> about netmasks and IPs so I guess i'm missing something here..

I expect that the .2.128 comes from routing_ip() in the vif-nat script.
However this hasn't changed recently and should behave the same under xl
as it did under xm so obviously something is up.

If it's not the problem above then you might need to add some additional
logging to the vif-nat script to figure out why it isn't accepting your
ip setting.

Ian.