Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 freeze on HVM DomU Windows reboot with VGA passthrough

Hi,

My experience so far is also that xl gives more problems for VGA passthru compared to xm. I have only tried xen <= 4.1, first 4.1.2 with xl on gentoo and then 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 with xm on ubuntu. My problems with xl were different from yours though, I experienced the performance degradation issue (http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2012-02/msg00443.html), which could be solved as indicated in the post. This did not happen with xm on ubuntu (win7-64 vm in both cases, radeon 6850).

But the performance issue might also be unrelated to the blank screen issue. If the issues are related though, it might have to do with how xm vs xl handles resetting the card at VM reboot. It could lead to different issues with different cards, which would explain our different problems.

Regards,
Andreas

2013/3/17 Howell Tam <pigeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all again,

> > have you found a solution for this behaviour? Cause I'm currently
> > seeing a similar result with my installation.

        I've been away for a few weeks and I'm finally back on trying to figure
out this problem.

        I was using xl + xl pci-assignable-add when I get the full
machine freeze when I reboot the domU windows7.

        I just tried with the same domu config file, but with xm +
pci-stub, and I do not seem to get the freeze (yet, so far 3 reboots/shutdowns).

        The VGA passthrough (an HD7770) is still working even after the
reboot (i.e. no more blank screen).

        This is semi-good news. If the bug is in xl, then I guess we
will have to debug this since xm is deprecated.

--
Regards,
Howell.