Re: [Xen-users] How to install linux PV DomU on Debian ZFS Dom0 (Xen 4.3)

On 16/09/2013, at 11:43 PM, Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am Montag, 16. September 2013, 23:32:30 schrieb Frank:
>> what would be the appropriate disk  = [] specification once I have done
>> this?
>
> should be something like
>
> [ 'phy:/dev/path/to/blockdevice,xvda1,w',
>   ... ]
>
> if you want to use ZFS block devices with xen you have to attach it with
> 'phy:' - "xvda1" means the corresponding device / partition inside the DomU.

Thanks, it's partially working with the following procedure
but I think sparse images may be causing a problem
as the DomU boots and uses the ZFS Zvol but
I get a problem when writing with bonnie:
Writing intelligently...Can't write block.: No such file or directory
Can't write block 442958.
- maybe bonnie isn't the right tool for testing the speed within the DomU?

The procedure I followed is:
0) set options in /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf
        dir = /home/xen/
        fs     = ext3
        image  = sparse

1) create DomU eg:
xen-create-image --hostname vitrualM --memory=8gb --dhcp --vcpus 2 --pygrub
--dist wheezy
this creates volumes in /home/xen/domains/virtualM/
disk.img
swap.img

2) create zvol, eg:
        zfs create -V 100G zpool1/vitrualM

3) use dd to copy over image to zvol:
        dd if=/home/xen/domains/vitrualM/disk.img of=/dev/zvol/zpool1/vitrualM
bs=1M

4) set DomU config to point to new location of image:
        'phy:/dev/zvol/zpool1/vitrualM,xvda2,w',

I have 3 further queries:
- is there any point putting the swap volumes on ZFS or should I just leave
them on my ext3 disk?
- I believe it will be better to use ext2 as the format for the images as I
figure I don't need journalling with
zfs taking care of the data integrity, is this a wise choice?
- the options are set to create sparse images currently, I presume there's no
problem with this as they
are no longer sparse when copied over to the ZFS zvol with dd, or could this be
the cause of my bonnie error?