[Xen-users] Slow Windows XP 32-bit

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Peter Milesson <miles@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:00:38 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:01:46 +0000

Hi folks,

Here we go again with the sluggish performance of Windows XP 32-bit under Xen 4.3.0. Up till now, I've tested it on AMD hardware, with the parameter /PATCHTPR in the boot.ini file of the Windows XP installation. It works really great, and Windows XP performance is relly outstanding, almost better than on bare metal.

When I use the parameter /PATCHTPR in the boot.ini of a Windows XP installation under Intel hardware, it crashes utterly, almost immediately during boot. What I could se from the little information that's available, the /PATCHTPR parameter only applies to Windows XP 32-bit, and Windows 2000 running under Xen on AMD hardware.

The Intel Xen installation is almost identical to the one I described in my first post a few days ago. It's really annoying and frustrating.

I would be very grateful for some good advice, how to speed up Windows XP 32-bit under Xen in Intel hardware.

Best regards,

Peter