Re: [Xen-users] question regarding booting custom guest kernel

On 27 September 2013 18:00, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 05:51:20PM +0200, Aastha Mehta wrote:
[...]
> > If it is not due to network failure, you need to check the delta between
> > your runes and figure out why one worked but the other didn't.
> >

> The differences are in the sizes provided for Swap, Disk, RAM.
> Additionally, I included flags like --keep, --install=1, --boot=1 in the
> case of the modified kernel.

I don't think these options can affect fetching package index...
You need to check manpage of xen-image-create.

I agree too. That's why it doesn't make sense to me.

> > > I also tried to replace the kernel in the image that I created from the
> > > mirror. But I am seeing the networking error about the vif being not set
> > up
> > > correctly. Any idea, why that might be happening and how to fix it?
> > >

> > You didn't answer my questions in first mail. How did you install Xen?
> > Do you have hotplug scripts in /etc/xen?
>

> Xen (4.4-unstable) is also custom built. I have following hotplug scripts
> in /etc/xen/scripts:
> hotplugpath.sh
> hotplugpath.sh.dpkg-dist
> xen-hotplug-common.sh
> xen-hotplug-common.sh.dpkg-dist
> vtpm-hotplug-common.sh
> xen-hotplug-cleanup

This doesn't look right. There're many other scripts in Xen's source
tarball. Make sure you install Xen properly first please.

Well this the complete list of scripts in /etc/xen/scripts/
blktap
block-iscsi
locking.sh
network-nat
vif2
vif-nat
vif-setup
vtpm-hotplug-common.sh
xen-hotplug-common.sh.dpkg-dist
block
block-nbd
locking.sh.dpkg-dist
network-nat.dpkg-dist
vif-bridge
vif-nat.dpkg-dist
vscsi
vtpm-impl
xen-network-common.sh
block-common.sh
external-device-migrate
logging.sh
network-route
vif-bridge.dpkg-dist
vif-openvswitch
vtpm
vtpm-migration.sh
xen-script-common.sh
block.dpkg-dist
hotplugpath.sh
network-bridge
qemu-ifup
vif-common.sh
vif-route
vtpm-common.sh
xen-hotplug-cleanup
block-enbd
hotplugpath.sh.dpkg-dist
network-bridge.dpkg-dist
qemu-ifup.dpkg-dist
vif-common.sh.dpkg-dist
vif-route.dpkg-dist
vtpm-delete
xen-hotplug-common.sh

> > Does it boot fine with original kernel?
> >

> I added the following line in the config file for original kernel:
> bootloader   = '/usr/local/lib/xen/bin/pygrub'
> Everything else was the default generated -

I'm very confused. You seemed to introduce many variables all at once.

Can you use something that works as baseline then gradually modify
things to what you want?

Wei.

I first added the null hypercall in Xen hypervisor, and tested it through a simple test program in dom0 itself. That worked. I am now trying to get an application to make a syscall to the guest OS, and then the guest make hypercall to Xen.

Thanks

--
Aastha Mehta
MPI-SWS, Germany