Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthrough of AMD FirePro W7000 to Windows 8: Not enough resources

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:44:35 +0000

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:01:01 +0100, Toby Miller <tobycmiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm using Xen 4.3, installed from source on Ubuntu 13.04. I've
successfully installed a Windows 8 guest, and had Xen pass it an AMD
FirePro W7000 GPU (technically 2 PCI devices - the second is for the
sound), as well as the virtualised graphics adapter. Windows finds the
card fine, and I've installed AMD's drivers. Device Manager says that
the card cannot find enough resources (code 12). I've checked the IO,
IRQ, and Memory details in DM, and there don't seem to be any clashes.

I did try disabling the virtualised card from Windows, but it seemed
to keep using it anyway, even after a restart. It didn't make any
difference to the FirePro in any case.

I'd be grateful for some help.

I haven't tried Windows 8, but on XP64 disabling the Cirrus card in
device manager fixed the problem for me with Nvidia card passthrough.

You could try setting gfx_passthru=1, which should disable the
Cirrus emulation alltogether. That may make Windows domU completely
fail to boot, though.

Did you do a clean Win8 install and reboot the host fully? Is the
FirePro the primary GPU on the host? Or is it completely untouched
in dom0 (no dom0 or BIOS output on it)?

Gordan