Re: [Xen-users] GTX 670 Tips?

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 20:24:47 -0400, Casey DeLorme <cdelorme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Again,

The card arrived, and I am reading through all 40~ pages of eevblog's
posts before I do anything.

@David, I recently moved and have an electric stove but no lighters
with me. ÂI did however bring a heat gun. ÂShould I use that to heat
the knife to remove the resistors?

You could invest â1 into a lighter, you know. :p
To do it quickly and easily you need to heat the knife up to at least
400C, possibly higher to account for it cooling between it being heated
up and making contact with the resistors in question.

@Gordan, if I was going to replace the resistors where would I get the
supplies from? ÂNot shy about taking a knife to a computer part, but
I am certainly no electrician or engineer.

All of mine came from eBay. If you are replacing the resistors, don't
use a hot knife - do it properly. Use a tiny tipped soldering iron for
removal and a hot air/gas type for refitting (with solder paste). You
will also most likely need a magnifying light or a microscope, 0402
components are 1mm on the longest side.

Note that there is a good chance you will have to use replacement
resistors. GTX680 works for both David and me without the two sets
of resistors as a Grid K2, but I can confirm that a GTX690 does not,
and the side effects such as crashing and unstable PCI IDs occur.

To be safe, replace the resistors rather than just remove them.

Gordan