Re: [Xen-users] First time xen install - Xen DomU runs, but can't find "/dev/root"

On mer, 2013-10-16 at 14:15 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 07:22 +1100, G Crowe wrote:
> > I have no idea what should be here. I was under the impression that this
> > sort of thing should be taken care of by either the virt-install
> > program, or the Fedora18 DVD image that I was pointing it to.
>
> Me too, although I know almost nothing about either myself. With that in
> mind you might want to speak to the virt-install and/or Fedora18 people.
> IIRC there is a fedora-virt list where Xen questions are welcomed.

Hi,

Sorry I'm replying only now (I've been ill for a couple of days).

So, how's this going? Any more luck? Can I point out to some resources
we have that are related right to what you seem to be after?

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Fedora_Host_Installation
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/DomU_Install_with_Virt-Install
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Fedora_Test_Days
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/10/16/fedora-virtualization-test-day-report/

In particular, the last two links (Test Days and the blog post) are
something I went through myself last week, so I'm quite sure they're
updated and accurate enough.

In your first e-mail you say you did something like the following:

# virt-install --paravirt --name xen1 --ram 256 --vcpus 1 -f
/dev/fedora_dhcp1/xen1 --network bridge=br0 --location /mnt/install
--graphics none

after mounting the install ISO in /mnt/install.

I've actually never done such a thing. If you wanted and HVM guest, I'd
say to try providing virt-install with the ISO directly (something like
'--cdrom <xxx>.iso'. It's probably not on the blog post, but I did it
with a Fedora 20 install DVD image and it worked.

For '--paravirt' I usually point '--location' to an URL from where it
can fetch and perform a network install (and that _is_ in the blog
post :-)), and it pretty much always worked. Can you do that?

> I see from your log that your command line is empty, which doesn't seem
> right. I'm afraid I don't know what virt-install rune would fix that, or
> indeed if it should even be necessary. If you can figure out how to
> append "root=/dev/xvda" to the command line you may find that does the
> trick.

There's a '--extra-args' switch which should, if used properly, do
what's needed here, but I'm not use how to set it up properly in this
case (install iso mounted).

Regards,
Dario