Re: [Xen-users] GTX 670 Tips?

On 10/27/2013 06:14 AM, Casey DeLorme wrote:
@Andrew, sorry I will do that going forward.

@David, having trouble with linux and could use some more info.

I created a linux domu config with `gfx_passthru=1`, but the system
never boots (sits at "serial0 console" when seen through vnc or sdl).

I'm pretty sure gfx_passthru=1 doesn't work without additional patches to do things like load and execute the VBIOS in domU.

If I omit that flag, I get video post-installation (not during install)
from the `nouveau` driver, which works but isn't performant. However,
after installing nvidia drivers and rebooting, I only get video over
vnc/sdl.

So you get VNC video during installation, and you get external output from the card from the nouveau driver. So far so good.

FYI, the noiveau driver isn't _too_ bad. If all you need is 2D acceleration, I can confirm that an ageing 8800GT with nouveau driver is perfectly capable of running HD video scaled up to 3840x2400 (2x1920x2400 across 2 monitors).

Nobody has really written any definitive guides on linux vga
passthrough, so I'm not sure where to go from here.  I am not sure how
Xorg works, that might be a good first step, but I tried creating
configurations based on debian's documentation
(https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure).

Remind me - did you modify your card into a Quadro/Grid?

I'm sure I remember David mentioning he had Linux domU running with accelerated drivers.

Gordan