Re: [Xen-users] Status of merging the #xen and ##xen IRC channels?

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:01:32PM +1300, Matthew Daley wrote:
> Hey,
>
> (Pasi, you're CC'd as you're the only active op I see around in either
> of these channels, and I thought you might have some input here.)

Hi!

> I've been hanging out and helping people (I hope) in both ##xen
> (unofficial) and #xen (official) on freenode for a few months now. One
> thing I have noticed is that the official channel is still there in a
> sort of half-migrated limbo.
>
> Upon connecting to ##xen, you get:
>
> 16:37 [freenode] -ChanServ(ChanServ@services.)- [##xen] You've reached
> ##xen, an unofficial channel. If you joined #xen, you were forwarded
> here; please
>           join ##xen directly in the future. Thanks!
>
> ...but upon connecting to #xen, you get nothing (and you don't get
> redirected, either). It seems like the redirect is either set up
> incorrectly, or is disabled?

No idea really.. last time when I tried joining #xen, the redirect to ##xen
*did* work..

> ##xen currently has 198 users, and #xen has 77. Of the unique 246
> users, only 29 are in both channels. Not exactly huge numbers, but
> they still get around 2-5 questions on a weekday, usually by people
> just popping in. #xen has been around for at least a year, and I'm not
> sure how long the redirect, broken or not, has been around.
>
> I ask because I often see newbies/users asking questions in one of the
> channels and not the other. Upon not getting a response (usually in
> #xen), they sometimes try asking in the other channel after some time,
> or usually just leave outright.
>
> I think the current two-channel situation adds to the confusion that
> newbies already have between the Xen hypervisor, XAPI, XenServer, etc.
> Is there someone here with the power to enforce the redirect
> (presumably in the 'unofficial -> official' direction), or any other
> suggestions?

Agreed.. I think we need to ask smaresca, azrael, evil_steve, or Kevin
about the redirects.. they've been opped on ##xen longer than me.

> - Matthew (aka 'hypermatt' in IRC)

-- Pasi (pasik)