Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

Hi Casey,

> Can you supply more information about the system.  There are many
> possibilities, so it'll be hard to narrow it down with only what
> you have provided.

I'll do:

> - What does the domu.cfg look like (complete copy)

I just did a new test without any disks so we can discard the guest OS
as the cause. With my graphics card (0000:01:00.0) passed through the
BIOS is not displayed; without (0000:01:00.1 is the HDMI device of the
graphics card) it is and says that it cannot find anything to boot.
Here's the complete config for those tests:

name = 'test'
builder = 'hvm'
device_model_version = 'qemu-xen'
device_model_override = '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64'
memory = 2048
# working
#pci = ['0000:01:00.1']
# not working
pci = ['0000:01:00.1','0000:01:00.0']

And here's the output from xl pci-assignable-list:

0000:00:1d.0
0000:01:00.0
0000:01:00.1
0000:04:04.0

> - Can you supply your kernel config

see attachments (current Jessie kernel), pciback is a module and binds
the devices at initramfs time via /etc/modprobe.d/:

options xen-pciback
hide=(0000:00:1d.0)(0000:01:00.0)(0000:01:00.1)(0000:04:04.0)
install ehci_hcd /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install ehci_hcd
install radeon /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
- --ignore-install radeon
install snd_hda_intel /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_hda_intel
install snd_virtuoso /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_virtuoso

> - Any notable hardware (eg. motherboard?)

MSI Z77A-GD65, i7 3770 (non-k), Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

The hardware worked 18 month with VGA passthrough, so I would exclude
it as cause, as well.

> - run `xl -vvv create` and attach the output

I attached the output from both test runs (with and w/o vga
passthrough) and the cleaned diff (there were different memory
addresses and domain ids)

> I have been using Xen 4.3 and 4.4 on Wheezy for some time now, but
> I have not yet tried with Jessie.  Off the top of my head, three
> possibilities stand out.  Could be a syntax error in your domu.cfg
> (review the latest man pages:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.3-testing/man/xl.cfg.5.html).  I
> still build pciback into my kernels as I have never had good luck
> with late device binding even with though the xl toolstack should
> do so; is pciback compiled into the kernel and your devices hidden
> by grub, or are you relying on late binding?  There have been
> problems with larger amounts of memory.  Have you tried dropping to
> 1~2 GB of ram in your config (yes I am aware that it is a very
> small amount for Windows to run well on, maybe try it just to
> confirm possible causes)?

I dropped the allocated RAM to 2GB, but no difference.

> Send us more info.

Hopefully, the info I now provided is more helpful.

Cheers,
Volker