Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthrough with Xen 4.3 and Qemu 1.7 on Debian Jessie

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Volker Klasen <reklov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Casey,

> Can you supply more information about the system. ÂThere are many
> possibilities, so it'll be hard to narrow it down with only what
> you have provided.

I'll do:

> - What does the domu.cfg look like (complete copy)

I just did a new test without any disks so we can discard the guest OS
as the cause. With my graphics card (0000:01:00.0) passed through the
BIOS is not displayed; without (0000:01:00.1 is the HDMI device of the
graphics card) it is and says that it cannot find anything to boot.
Here's the complete config for those tests:

You should have a disk
name = 'test'
builder = 'hvm'
device_model_version = 'qemu-xen'
device_model_override = '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64'
memory = 2048
# working
#pci = ['0000:01:00.1']
# not working
pci = ['0000:01:00.1','0000:01:00.0']

The default qemu in 4.3 should be upstream, but a lot of people have had better luck with traditional for higher memory (myself included).

Is there a reason you are overriding the qemu device model? ÂAFAIK this is not a needed step, it should be able to get that by default.

And here's the output from xl pci-assignable-list:

0000:00:1d.0
0000:01:00.0
0000:01:00.1
0000:04:04.0

So your kernel/grub is binding them to pciback. ÂThat works for me.
> - Can you supply your kernel config

see attachments (current Jessie kernel), pciback is a module and binds
the devices at initramfs time via /etc/modprobe.d/:

options xen-pciback
hide=(0000:00:1d.0)(0000:01:00.0)(0000:01:00.1)(0000:04:04.0)
install ehci_hcd /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install ehci_hcd
install radeon /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
- --ignore-install radeon
install snd_hda_intel /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_hda_intel
install snd_virtuoso /sbin/modprobe xen-pciback; /sbin/modprobe
- --first-time --ignore-install snd_virtuoso

> - Any notable hardware (eg. motherboard?)

MSI Z77A-GD65, i7 3770 (non-k), Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

The hardware worked 18 month with VGA passthrough, so I would exclude
it as cause, as well.

I wouldn't entirely rule it out, were you using 4.1 on Jessie, or a previous debian? ÂThe way hardware is addressed by the kernel may have changed, so knowing the model might help.
> - run `xl -vvv create` and attach the output

I attached the output from both test runs (with and w/o vga
passthrough) and the cleaned diff (there were different memory
addresses and domain ids)

> I have been using Xen 4.3 and 4.4 on Wheezy for some time now, but
> I have not yet tried with Jessie. ÂOff the top of my head, three
> possibilities stand out. ÂCould be a syntax error in your domu.cfg
> (review the latest man pages:
> http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.3-testing/man/xl.cfg.5.html). ÂI
> still build pciback into my kernels as I have never had good luck
> with late device binding even with though the xl toolstack should
> do so; is pciback compiled into the kernel and your devices hidden
> by grub, or are you relying on late binding? ÂThere have been
> problems with larger amounts of memory. ÂHave you tried dropping to
> 1~2 GB of ram in your config (yes I am aware that it is a very
> small amount for Windows to run well on, maybe try it just to
> confirm possible causes)?

I dropped the allocated RAM to 2GB, but no difference.

> Send us more info.

Hopefully, the info I now provided is more helpful.

Cheers,
Volker

I don't see anything that stands out. ÂYour devices are bound to pciback, though the kernel config shows the backend drivers are as modules. ÂThe xl output doesn't appear to explain the problem either. ÂHave you tried traditional without the override?