Re: [Xen-users] help

Here is what I did to generate the attached log files.

1) I cleaned all the log files.
2) Booted into Xen and saw the error as I described before.
3) Rebooted the system and logged into ubuntu.
4) attached the resulting log files to this email.

The rest of the questions are answered inline.
Thanks for the help.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 2:50 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 13:46 -0700, Yasaman Amannejad wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I installed (tried both the rep version and compiling from source) Xen
> 4.3.1 on ubuntu 13.10 (both desktop and server). In all the
> combinations, when I boot into Xen, it shows "warning no console will
> be available to os" and hangs at loading initial ramdisk. I could not
> find anything in OS log files.

I think this is a message from grub, but without a full boot log it is
hard for me to tell.

> I have seen this issue when searching the web but none of the
> solutions have worked for me.

What have you tried?

1) editing /etc/default/grub and disabling apparmor
2) editing /etc/default/grub and setting memory, etc for xen
3) making sure that the there is function in grub.cfg with the following two lines:
insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga

> I followed normal configurations (changing the grub boot order and
> setting the toolchain to xm).

Please provide the grub menu entry you are using. Why aren't you just
letting update-grub generate one?

I actually use update-grub.

Are you perhaps trying to boot EFI Xen from GrUB? Don't do that, instead
launch xen.efi directly from the UEFI shell. See
http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/misc/efi.html and various threads
on -users@ and -devel@

I am not doing anything fancy. Just a simple install of Xen on ubuntu!

> Does Xen require any specific hardware configuration?

Not especially, this is almost certainly a s/w issue.

Ian.