Re: [Xen-users] Xen (SLES) vs VMWare Enterprise Plus and Essentials Plus

Hey James :-)

I have a reason... though I dont know how current it is.

I remember wanting to enable ssh / command line on vmware... esxi4 I think. Its linux (after all) why not??

Vmware seemed to be actively discouraging the use of ssh / command line. To the point that enabling ssh was made to seem like a "bad idea" there was a warning that made me feel like I was ripping off a matress tag or worse, and my recollection is that we thought we were now "unsupported" .

Heres the problem.

There are lots of things you cant do in the gui.

Lots of 3rd party bits that use ths shunned ssh to work.

Nothing is perfect but xenserver is open. Which ultimately means if you are competent (no slight intended) - you or your peers can solve a problem.

With closed projects its the vendor support or nothing.

You wait to possibly hear that the issue you have isn't going to get resolved until you can prove that you can remove the gpu with the unsupported firmware and still have the network performance issue :-)

To me that's scary.

To some organizations it seems they are more afraid of relying on their own people than they are of relying on another organization that does exactly that.

If thats the underlying issue though it may be very hard to make your case.

Just my 2 cents.

Please forgive my brevity or typos. Im used to a keyboard and my new phone has a touch screen. ;-) Sent from my mobile.