[Xen-users] Fwd: DomU freeze

I apparently forgot to forward this on to the list - Sorry about that.

Shane

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 12:41 -0700, Shane Johnson wrote:
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>

> 8 days ago I had my Dom0 crash which left me with only images of the
> DomU's on the machine.

By images do you mean just the LVM volumes without the associated
configuration files or something else? I'm not 100% clear if you are
trying to boot from those same images or from some sort of restore from
backup scenario.

How were these guests originally created?

>   I have been trying to bring one back up from these images and when I
> try to start the domain, it just spikes to 100% on the CPU usage and
> freezes on the Bios screen in VNC.

This is an HVM guest then I guess?

100% CPU usage is for the guest VCPU or for a dom0 VCPU -- e.g. the one
running the associated qemu?

Which qemu version is being used?

If it is the qemu taking the time then strace might give you a clue
where/what it is doing.

If it is the guest VCPU then perhaps xenctx (in /usr/lib/xen-X.Y/bin
IIRC) might give a hint.

> In looking at the logs and running xl -vv  there is nothing there I
> could see that would cause this issue.  These can be provided at your
> request.

I think the cfg, xl -vvv output and the xl and qemu logs would be useful
to see, if only to rule out spotting something there.

Ian.

Sorry for the vagueness.  I was trying to keep  things short and sweet but I guess I failed.  I'll do better next time.

The Guest domains storage was on dedicated logical volumes.  These I would snapshot and image for a backup.   When the Dom0 crashed, I lost the original volumes and restored them from the images to new volumes that are currently on a external HD for portability for trying to get this bugger up or worst case resort to trying to recover the files using some sort of forensic process.  Unfortunately, I lost the original host OS and all the configuration files.  The guests where originally created on either this machine that crashed or my desktop and migrated via sneaker net to the crashed host.

Yes the machine I am having a problem with is a HVM guest running Windows 2000 that's sole purpose was a file server.

The 100% CPU usage was for the DomU in xl top.

I don't know which version was on the old machine for sure, but I imagine it wasn't too far off from the wheezy test machine ( The host OS was updated every Friday.) and it is 0.10.2 (This is from /usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/qemu-dm --help)

xenctx says it can't trace dom0

I am including the log files xl output and screenshots in an attachment.

Thank you for all your help.

--
Shane D. Johnson
IT Administrator