Re: [Xen-users] VGA passthrough with Xen 4.3 and xl toolstack - performance degradation resolved?

On 03/12/2014 06:14 PM, David Sutton wrote:
Gordon,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 03/12/2014 03:42 PM, H. Sieger wrote:

        Thanks for the reply! Good to know the old ATI patch still works
        with
        Xen 4.4.

    If you are talking about the patch I think you are talking about,
    IIRC that was a patch for primary passthrough. This side-steps some
    of the problems of lack of reset by POST-ing the VBIOS in domU, so
    VBIOS gets the card into a state where the driver knows what to do
    with it.

The patch I was referring to is the same one that you are talking about;
basically passing through the card as a primary display, with access to
the VBIOS so the card can go through POST and be in a better internal
state for when the driver starts to use it.

Thanks for clarifying. I was also referring to a much more recent patch I saw floating around that adds bus reset as a means of resetting a PCI device when FLR or power management based resetting isn't available.

The only ATI card I ever saw survive a reboot was a HD7450. It didn't survive the reboot every time, but any number greater than 0 is a huge improvement. It still wasn't reliable enough for "production" use, and I needed something way more performant than a 7450 so I didn't stick with it for more than preliminary testing, but I always assumed that the reason it did better than higher end cards was because it was powered only from the slot, no auxiliary power input - which meant that resetting it via the power management trick (put it in powered off state and then bring it back online). It's just a guess, though.

Gordan