Re: [Xen-users] VGA passthrough with Xen 4.3 and xl toolstack - performance degradation resolved?

On 03/12/2014 06:21 PM, David Sutton wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM, H. Sieger <powerhouse.linux@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:powerhouse.linux@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I'm referring to secondary passthrough. What you are saying here is
    quite a surprise to me. A number of people have reported successful
    VGA passthrough using ATI cards, see Post your Passmark results of
    your Windows VM
    <http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=153482> and
    HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using XEN VGA passthrough
    <http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112013>, or
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1205216/guide-create-a-gaming-virtual-machine.
    Since I wrote the "how-to make dual-boot obsolete..." more than a
    year and a half ago, with regular updates, I never ever saw a user
    mention guest reboot/performance issues, nor did I receive private
    notes on that.

The initial passthrough is never really an issue, its when you have to
restart the domU (for example, after a Windows Update) that the
complications occur - at least that was the experience I had with both a
6770 and a 7750, passing through to a Windows 7 domU. I've had multiple
people ask me about the degraded performance after a reboot, which is
why the Arch Linux package has a copy of the primary passthrough patch
included with it (but disabled, with the understanding that a user can
enable it if they wish but its not supported in any fashion)

Indeed, exactly this - initial passthrough works, but once you need to reboot the domU it all falls apart pretty quickly.

Gordan