Re: [Xen-users] pv-grub installation problem

On 31 March 2014 12:59, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 21:39 +0200, Aastha Mehta wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply. However, I have still not been able to get this
>> working. I tried to replace grub2 with grub1 and so now I have a
>> menu.lst boot config file. This is how my config file looks like -
>
> The cfg looks correct to me. It seems that the issue is that it isn't
> being read at all.
>
>> I do not know what the last chainload entry is for.
>
> It's to support Debian upgrades on physical hardware between the release
> which used grub1 and the release which used grub2 (I can't remember
> which those were). Ignore it.
>
>>  The problem to me
>> it seems is that somehow xvda is not being identified as a valid
>> device and so somehow it either does not have the grub properly
>> installed, or my way of specifying the root device is wrong. I have
>> tried specifying root as (hd0) as well as (hd0, 0) or (hd0, 1) - both
>> in the grub config file and the config file in the host - but it does
>> not help. The xvda2 is a separate disk image only, it is not a
>> partition.
>
> AFAIU this (separate disk image) should work. I'd expect it to be
> "(hd0,1)". Maybe the extra spaces you've got in "(hd0, 0)" have confused
> it?

My mistake in writing in the mail. I was providing it as (hd0,1) only.

> You should be able to investigate this from the grub prompt, e.g. with
> ls and help etc. I think it even does tab completion (but its been so
> long since I played with grub1 I'm not sure), so you can find out what
> devices it thinks it sees.

I tried few grub commands, but it doesn't find any of the files,
devices, anything. What you hinted at may be true - that the config
file is not being read at all. I will investigate from that point.

I will try for a while with this ubuntu guest, otherwise I will have
to consider switching to Debian or OpenSUSE or something else.

> Ian.

Thanks for the help,

Aastha.