Re: [Xen-users] Fail to convert RAW disk to VHD fixed disk.

Hi Ian, et all.Â

I imagined that the patch would not be officially supported. No worries.Â

The qemu img convert does not do xen images -> "TheÂqemu-img convertÂcommand can do conversion between multiple formats, including raw, qcow2, VDI (VirtualBox), VMDK (VMWare) and VHD (Hyper-V)." In my googlings I saw some tools that existed for windows to do said conversion, however, I don't have a windows box.Â

I did however get everything working on ubuntu 14.04, not sure why the same software works there and not in fedora 20 (here is a diff of ./configure between the two machinesÂhttps://gist.github.com/Aricg/4a588a1b979a349b9512)

Anyhow, I would like to know what people are using to convert kvm images to xen in general.

-AricÂ

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2014-06-19 at 11:57 -0400, Aric Gardner wrote:
> Hi guys. Posting here before posting a bug report as directed.
> I'm trying to convert a qcow image to vhd so that I can upload it to the
> rackspace open cloud. ÂError is:
> Fail to convert RAW disk to VHD fixed disk.
>
> Relevant howto (ubuntu centric)
> http://developer.rackspace.com/blog/bootstrap-your-qcow-images-for-the-rackspace-public-cloud.html
>
> HW:
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300M CPU @ 2.60GHz 8GB RAM
>
> OS:
> Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)
> xen-4.3.2-4.fc20.x86_64
>
> Steps to reproduce
>
> sudo yum install python-devel gettext iasl uuid e2fsprogs uuid-devel libaio-devel dev86 uuid-devel ncurses-devel glib2-devel libaio-devel yajl-devel glibc-devel.i686 libuuid-devel pixman-devel
>
> wget -q http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/4.4.0/xen-4.4.0.tar.gz
> tar -xzf xen-4.4.0.tar.gz
> cd xen-4.4.0/tools/
> wget https://github.com/citrix-openstack/xenserver-utils/raw/master/blktap2.patch -qO - | patch -p0

What happens if you don't apply this patch (IOW do you know whether or
not this patch introduced the breakage).

> ./configure --disable-monitors --disable-ocamltools --disable-rombios --disable-seabios
> make -j4
>
> qemu-img convert -O raw /home/agardner/Downloads/Fedora-x86_64-20-20140407-sda.qcow2 /tmp/Fedora-x86_64-20-20140407-sda.raw
> ./vhd-util convert -s 0 -t 1 -i /tmp/Fedora-x86_64-20-20140407-sda.raw -o /tmp/0_Fedora-x86_64-20-20140407-sda.vhd

I suppose this is ./blktap2/vhd/vhd-util? My copy doesn't seem to have a
convert subcommand.

Oh, it seems to come from that patch. I'd suggest approaching the author
directly (perhaps CCing the list). Or given the URL perhaps try the
xenserver.org lists? Or the author of the howto you are following.

Alternatively modern qemu-img claims to support "vhdx" as an output
format. I'm not sure what the x suffix designates and/or if it is
compatible with rackspace.
http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/ch_converting.html seems
to suggest the "vpc" is somehow equivalent to vhd also.

Ian.