Re: [Xen-users] XenProject Q&A: Live migration between hyperthreading and non-hyperthreading CPUs?

On Thu, 2014-06-26 at 03:14 +0000, Russell Pavlicek wrote:
> On the Q&A system on XenProject.org, Philipp asks:
>
> "I have a XEN-Server with an XEON E3-1220V3 and would like to add a
> new server with an XEON E3-1230LV3. AFAIK the only difference between
> these 2 CPUs is the hyperthreading feature. Does anyone know if a live
> migration would work between these 2 CPUs? I don't want to get into
> feature masks since it doesn't seem to be worth the effort."

I don't think Xen exposes HT to guests even it is present in the host,
so the guest OS will just see a bunch of unrelated CPU cores, it has no
idea if they are (currently) scheduled on sibling cores or not, and that
might change anyhow as the Xen scheduler balances things.