Re: [Xen-users] ARM: Xen on Vexpress

On Wed, 2014-07-02 at 12:32 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:23:21, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-07-02 at 12:20 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
> > > One hiccup is that I can't quit the shell from DomU, as it's init is
> > > /bin/sh and it'll be killed on exit. Because I'm using the same file
> > > system as Dom0, DomU wouldn't be able to start upstart either. So I
> > > can't find a way to go back to Dom0 once I'm in DomU!
> >
> > You can exit xl console with Ctrl-[.
>
> I believe that's Ctrl-], which is working for me?

Yes, sorry.

> > It might be worth taking a step back and trying to figure out the
> > upstart issue in either dom0 or domU, I think the restriction will
> > start to be an impediment to you before long (even if its just
> > pressing Ctrl-d and existing the init shell by mistake like I do all
> > the time in this mode)
>
> Right. Not sure if I can get much out of if it:
>
>   root@(none):/# /sbin/init
>   init: missing runlevel
>   Try `init --help' for more information.
>   root@(none):/# /sbin/init 1
>   init: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

I think the way you've invoked it there it will be trying to act as a
client to the (supposed to be) already running upstart.
"exec /sbin/init" might avoid that (I don't know how it decides to be
client vs. server) but I'd suggest that you boot without init=/bin/sh
and instead let Upstart get launched as the actual init.

Ian