Re: [Xen-users] HTPC + DUAL PC In one

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:02:50 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:03:26 +0000

On 2014-07-15 08:38, Mattia Carrara wrote:

Now the problem is GPU pass-through. My idea Intel integrated graphics
and auidio for HTPC in such way i will have audio and video over HDMI.
Other two ati PCIe GPUs one for each virtual machine.

And for dom0 console? You'll need 4 GPUs in the machine. Do you have
3 PCIe slots for the domU GPUs? If not you'll have to use at least one
dual GPU card.

Then for audio
other two pci cards. The question is: is there a better solution for
audio? I mean each card has more than one channel, can I deticate a
channel instead of a single PCI card?

No, "channels" on audio devices don't work in the way you imply.

Depending on what your exact audio requirements are, you could
probably use a cheap (Â2 or so) USB audio module and pass specific
USB port PCI devices to each VM. Do you have enough ports for
audio + keyboard + mouse for each VM? You'll need at least 11
(audio + keyboard + mouse for each of the 3 VMs, + keyboard and
mouse for dom0). You will probably have to use a USB hub for each
domU. With some careful hardware selection, each of the monitors
you use could come with a built in USB hub which will tidy things
up a bit.

Another problem are all the
wires! I was thinking to use Thunderbolt for the two Windows VM. In
such way i will have Audio, Video and USBs in a cable. But how? Do you
have any suggestion?

I never used Thunderbolt, I am achieving all of the above with USB
devices.