Re: [Xen-users] HTPC + DUAL PC In one

Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 07/17/2014 09:01 AM, lee wrote:
>> Mattia Carrara <mattia.carrara@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hello guys,
>>>
>>> It's time to upgrade my old pc. I have been thinking about this project for
>>> one month, now i'll explain it.
>>>
>>> One linux machine with xen installed will host 3 virtual machines. One will
>>> be running linux + plex and this will be the HTPC, the other two virtual
>>> machines will run Windows. I don't need hi-end graphics, the objective is
>>> to obtain a good balance between calcolus power and power consumption. In
>>> such way I will have a computer for myself, for my family and HTPC.
>>
>> What about firewall, web server, squid, MTA and other services you might
>> want to run, and what about storage?
>>
>> "Fast", "low power consumption" and "low budget" are somewhat mutually
>> exclusive, especially when you add several graphics cards.
>
> The old dogma says: "Cheap, fast, reliable - pick any two."

Cheap and fast?  How would that go together?

>> Perhaps an HP Microserver with a thin client or two could make sense for
>> you.  If a setup like that is fast enough, it might avoid a lot of
>> complication otherwise arising from overstuffing a single machine with
>> too much hardware, probably be pretty good with power consumption and
>> not limit you to having to sit close to the server.
>
> Unfortunately, the HP G7 Microserver doesn't allow using both the
> built in GPU and a discrete PCIe GPU at the same time. As soon as you
> plug in a PCIe GPU, the internal one gets disabled. You may be able to
> find a way to blindly poke some PCIe registers to enable it, but this
> would take some research. Normally it doesn't even show up on the bus.

Good to know --- I understood he basically wants two machines with
mostly unspecified properties ppl can directly work on and something for
an HTPC running along.  Perhaps he's fine when he can use a thin client
and, if the internal GPU is too slow for him, plug in a card.  Or he
uses two thin clients instead ...

It all depends on what he actually needs/wants.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.