Re: [Xen-users] HTPC + DUAL PC In one

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:16:53 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 08:17:11 +0000

On 07/17/2014 09:01 AM, lee wrote:
Mattia Carrara <mattia.carrara@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello guys,

It's time to upgrade my old pc. I have been thinking about this project for
one month, now i'll explain it.

One linux machine with xen installed will host 3 virtual machines. One will
be running linux + plex and this will be the HTPC, the other two virtual
machines will run Windows. I don't need hi-end graphics, the objective is
to obtain a good balance between calcolus power and power consumption. In
such way I will have a computer for myself, for my family and HTPC.

What about firewall, web server, squid, MTA and other services you might
want to run, and what about storage?

"Fast", "low power consumption" and "low budget" are somewhat mutually
exclusive, especially when you add several graphics cards.

The old dogma says: "Cheap, fast, reliable - pick any two."

Perhaps an HP Microserver with a thin client or two could make sense for
you.  If a setup like that is fast enough, it might avoid a lot of
complication otherwise arising from overstuffing a single machine with
too much hardware, probably be pretty good with power consumption and
not limit you to having to sit close to the server.

Unfortunately, the HP G7 Microserver doesn't allow using both the built in GPU and a discrete PCIe GPU at the same time. As soon as you plug in a PCIe GPU, the internal one gets disabled. You may be able to find a way to blindly poke some PCIe registers to enable it, but this would take some research. Normally it doesn't even show up on the bus.

Gordan