Re: [Xen-users] Cheap IOMMU hardware and ECC support importance

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:10:53 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 13:10:59 +0000

On 07/17/2014 01:20 PM, lee wrote:
Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 07/17/2014 08:34 AM, lee wrote:

To back it up, I'd still have to make an archive which I can upload.

Depends on how the backup service works. Many have a deamon that
monitors directories you specify and uploads changes.

Then I won't be able to encrypt them with gpg.

Yes you can. You can, for example, set up lsyncd to monitor the
encrypted directory, rather than the mountpoint, and sync encrypted
files to an alternate location (local or remote). The backup
daemon never needs to see the plain text files.

I'd still have to encrypt them.  Other than that, yes, maybe if I had a
database of all files telling some system that encrypts and uploads them
which files have changed, and if I had something that monitors all files
in some useful way, it may be possible.  I don't have such a system,
though, and no remote place to store files at.

You may not have noticed I mentioned "lsyncd" which does such
monitoring and copying.

I did notice --- as in it monitors a particular directory into which I'd
have to put files.  But I don't know, perhaps it can monitor many
directories and/or do something with the files before uploading them.

Some reading up on things before asking questions is generally encouraged. Lsyncd can indeed monitor any arbitrary number of directory trees.

If it was monitoring my home directory for changes, encrypted changed
files with gpg and uploaded them, that might just work --- if it could
do that fast enough, or queue the files up.  But what if it's working on
a file (that perhaps was queued up already) while the file changes?
What about deleting and renaming files and directories?

Read up on it. These problems are already solved.