Re: [Xen-users] failed to write new name `virtmach' for domain 3 previously named `(null)'

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 14:32 +0200, Mathy Vanvoorden wrote:
> Looking at the source code I've established that the issue occurs when the
> xs_write command is called to set the name of the DomU but I see no reason
> why
> this should fail with exactly the third DomU.

It certainly is perplexing.

> Before I go down the route of trying to debug this deeper I was wondering if
> somebody else perhaps has an idea as to what else I could still try. Not that
> I'm scared of a bit of kernel debugging but I like to avoid it if possible ;-)

The only things I can think of which might cause this would be some sort
of quota in xenstored which was being applied to dom0 or perhaps the
filesystem containing the xenstore db is almost full and the first two
domains are enough to push it right to the limit.

Neither of those seem terribly likely although if you are using
oxenstored then you might find:
f9cff08 oxenstored: perform a 3-way merge of the quota after a transaction
4ce2758 oxenstored: exempt dom0 from domU node quotas
ed4f4bb oxenstored: allow updates regardless of quota

from the master branch to be of interest wrt xenstore quotas.

Ian.