Re: [Xen-users] failed to write new name `virtmach' for domain 3 previously named `(null)'

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mathy Vanvoorden <mathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:53:07 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:53:32 +0000

On Friday 18 July 2014 14:37:49 Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 14:32 +0200, Mathy Vanvoorden wrote:
> > Looking at the source code I've established that the issue occurs when the
> > xs_write command is called to set the name of the DomU but I see no reason
> > why this should fail with exactly the third DomU.
>
> It certainly is perplexing.

That it is, I've been trying further to find out what is the difference between
a cleanly booted system and one that had the failure after which it works fine
but so far no luck.

> > Before I go down the route of trying to debug this deeper I was wondering
> > if somebody else perhaps has an idea as to what else I could still try.
> > Not that I'm scared of a bit of kernel debugging but I like to avoid it
> > if possible ;-)
> The only things I can think of which might cause this would be some sort
> of quota in xenstored which was being applied to dom0 or perhaps the
> filesystem containing the xenstore db is almost full and the first two
> domains are enough to push it right to the limit.
>
> Neither of those seem terribly likely although if you are using
> oxenstored then you might find:
> f9cff08 oxenstored: perform a 3-way merge of the quota after a transaction
> 4ce2758 oxenstored: exempt dom0 from domU node quotas
> ed4f4bb oxenstored: allow updates regardless of quota
>
> from the master branch to be of interest wrt xenstore quotas.

I don't have any special configuration for xenstored, it's all defaults. I
double-checked free space in dom0 but that also is okay. Besides, if it was a
quota issue should it not happen again after I repeat the steps?

br,
Mathy