Re: [Xen-users] Xl mem-max does nothing

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 02:56:33PM +0200, Nerilaunt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today we updated one of our Dom0 from Xen 4.1 (xm) to Xen 4.4 (xl).
>
> Everything seems good, exept DomU max memory setting.
>
> With xm, we had in DomU .cfg :
>
>   maxmem = 256
>   memory = 256
>
> And we could change it live with
>
>   xm mem-max vmname 512
>   xm mem-set vmname 512
>
> Worked like a charm.
>
> Now with xl, same DomU .cfg,
>
>   xl mem-max vmname 512
>
> does nothing (but gives no error) and, of course,
>
>   xl mem-set vmname 512
>
> give an error (libxl: error: libxl.c:4097:libxl_set_memory_target:
> memory_dynamic_max must be less than or equal to memory_static_max).
>
> The DomU is the same as before, and both Dom0 and DomU kernels are up
> to date (3.15.6) with memory hotplug and memory ballooning compiled
> in.
>
> Is it a known error/xl regression/"feature", or is it supposed to work
> with xl like xm ?

There might be some semantic changes for these two commands from 4.1 to
4.4. I can't say for sure because I never played with 4.1.

If you want your guest to have 512MB ram at most, you can set it as
maxmem=512 in guest config file. During guest runtime the guest can use
up to 256MB ram (memory= option). Then you can use 'xl mem-set vmname
512' to lift the cap.

Wei.