Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 for FreeBSD or Illumos

Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 07/23/2014 04:31 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Does that imply that it might not run pure PV?
Yes, it won't run as pure PV, the FreeBSD port I've been working on is
PVH only. IMHO working on pure PV support now is quite useless, it
performs worse and requires a lot more of code/hacks in the OS, which
makes it hard to maintain in the long run.

That doesn't mean you cannot create pure PV guests from a PVH Dom0,
that's fully supported and working fine.

That doesn't help me. I'm looking at a few older machines that still
have plenty of life in them.  If I had all newer hardware, then the
hypervisor universe gets considerably larger.

There was once I time when I would have agreed with the sentiment of getting more life out of older hardware but that time is long gone. The only sane way to look at that equation is by putting a value (some non-0 value) on your own time. Once you look at this sort of thing through the idea that your time isn't worthless, getting more life out of older hardware rapidly becomes a false economy, even before you look at secondary benefits such as reduced heat, improved performance or more convenient form factors.

Well - there is that. In which case, I'd probably lay out $3500, replace our two older servers, and run SmartOS on all of them, with Zones and KVM for virtualization.

Cheers,

Miles