Re: [Xen-users] PV vs HVM for PCI-Passthrough

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 15:09 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-12-14 at 17:26 -0500, symack wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >

> > We would like to setup our xen virtual machines on an older server and
> > migrate
> > them over to our production server which supports vt-d. Is it
> > recommended to setup PV or HVM guests.
>
> It mostly depends on what your requirements for the guest are.
>
> If your older staging server doesn't do vt-d then doing passthrough to
> an HVM guest isn't possible I think. PV guests don't need VT-d to do
> pasthrough, but it's not as safe.
>
> > Also, is there any recent up to date documentation
> > on installing xen from source (latest stable) on a gentoo machine.
>
> Check the Xen wiki, there are guides to installing from source there.
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Category:Gentoo points to a page on
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Xen but it seems to not be responding,
> maybe it should instead be http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xen which looks
> quite good (I'm not a gentoo user, so I can't tell if it is accurate,
> but it looks reasonable)

Seems like gentoo-wiki.com has died (according to
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/), I've changed the link to point to
wiki.gentoo.org.

Ian.

Hey Ian!

Thank you so much for your response. The idea is to get the encapsulate guest instances all setup and running
with their own services (ie, http, voip, db....) on the older machine with no vt-d support. When the new machine
comes in mid next year, we would like to be able to just transfer the guests to an iommu capable machine. Seems
like the idea is to stick with HVM instances to easily migrate? Thanks for the links. Will go through them.

N.