Re: [Xen-users] PV vs HVM for PCI-Passthrough

On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 13:28 -0500, symack wrote:

> Thank you so much for your response. The idea is to get the
> encapsulate guest instances all setup and running
> with their own services (ie, http, voip, db....) on the older machine
> with no vt-d support. When the new machine
> comes in mid next year, we would like to be able to just transfer the
> guests to an iommu capable machine. Seems
> like the idea is to stick with HVM instances to easily migrate?

If those VMs have passthrough devices then no, the opposite. Only PV
guests can have passthrough devices on a system with no iommu. HVM
requires iommu to do passthrough.

If the VMs have no passthrough devices then PV vs HVM is up to you
and/or other factors.

Ian.