[Xen-users] Windows 8 VM: Network adapter disappeared

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Stephen Oberholtzer <stevie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:05:55 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 20:07:20 +0000

I have a Windows 8 VM running on Xen 4.5.0-rc3 (haven't had a chance
to Debianize the latest Xen builds yet, and I'm not sure how to build
from //anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-xen/xen.git.)

I'm using PCI passthrough to pass an ATI video card and a physical USB 3.0 bus.

Everything was working just great, until I one day, someone rebooted
the machine (not sure if it was the VM or the host), and Windows
ceased to see the virtual network adapter.  Device manager simply said
"This device is not connected to the system. To use it, reconnect it."

SIV ( a system info tool) reports that virtual PCI slot 00:04.0, which
is where it belongs, is empty; the list goes from 0-03-0 to 0-05-0.

I have tried many things -- booting it without the virtual NIC, then
adding it back; rebooting everything repeatedly; changing the driver
from the default rtl8139 to e1000.

I tried updating to the latest qemu (which broke things; apparently
the 'to=' option for -vnc was recently removed?) to no avail.

The very strange thing is, when I set xen_platform_pci=0 and booted
Knoppix off of the VM, Linux saw the virtual NIC and was able to get
an IP address via DHCP.  On the other hand, removal of the Xen device
would have moved the virtual NIC from 00:04 to 00:03

After a bunch of munging around with things, I was able to force a
dummy PCI serial port into slot 4, and move the virtual NIC to PCI
slot 8; I can confirm that the Windows VM still fails to see the NIC
in this case (and it *does* see the serial port in slot 4).  So it's
not something iffy about virtual slot 4.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what's going on?  Why would the VM
OS completely fail to see a virtual device? (Not working correctly is
one thing, but it's as if it's not there at all!)

--
-- Stevie-O
Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE