Re: [Xen-users] poor I/O with xen kernel

Anyone who can recommend where to go with this?

It's really demoralising seeing Raid controllers loose so much I/O even in Dom0.

We are seriously considering bare metal and docker for our applications if we
can't solve this issue with I/O performance on Xen or worse yet Vmware *yikes*

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:04:24 +0000
Niki Vasilev <nikolay.vasilev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More info about this:
>

> filename:
> /lib/modules/3.13.0-32-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_sas.ko
> author:         megaraidlinux@xxxxxxx
> version:        06.700.06.00-rc1
>
> this is the kernel and the driver version on both Xen and Non-Xen
> version of Ubuntu Server
>
> And this is the Xen kernel and driver version on CentOS
>
> filename:
> /lib/modules/3.13.0-32-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/megaraid/megaraid_sas.ko
> author: megaraidlinux@xxxxxxx <mailto:megaraidlinux@xxxxxxx>
> version: 06.700.06.00-rc1
> license: GPL
>
> and the Intel Raid controller version:
>
> 82:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS-3
> 3108 [Invader] (rev 02)

> The Areca Raid Version is:
>
> 02:00.0 RAID bus controller: Areca Technology Corp. ARC-1880 8/12 port
> PCIe/PCI-X to SAS/SATA II RAID Controller (rev 01)
>
> the Xen and non-xen Kernels are the same as above
>
> is any body else is having this issue ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki
>
> On 27/01/15 13:28, Niki Vasilev wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have some issues with Xen kernel on Ubuntu Server (latest) and CentOS 6
> >
> > I am using Intel RAID controller, testing with fio.
> >
> > On CentOS 6 I am getting ~14k iops with Xen Kernel and with the
> > generic one I am getting ~15k (not much more ...). I played with
> > drivers, changed the scheduler, etc....nothing helped.
> >
> > On Ubuntu Server with the default kernel and driver I am getting ~21k
> > iops and when I boot with xen kernel I am getting ~10k ....its the
> > same kernel version and same driver ...
> >
> > On the same machine with Areca raid controller with CentOS 6 and xen
> > kernel I am getting ~26k iops
> >
> > My question is, how can I modified the kernel or what I have to
> > install/config to solve this ...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Niki

Lennart Hansen