Re: [Xen-users] UEFI Booting

On Sat, 2015-03-21 at 00:06 -0300, Carlos Gustavo Ramirez Rodriguez
wrote:
> Continuing my Installation procedure from last "curses library e-mail"
> that Ian Campbell, so kindly answered, I've got two separate points
> that I got stuck into:
>
> First Problem:
>

> After compiling xen-4.5.1-pre.efi and creating the xen-4.5.1-pre.cfg:
> "
>
> [global]
>
> default=xen
>

> [xen]
> options=console=vga loglvl=all noreboot
>
> kernel=vmlinuz-3.19.0-9-generic ignore_loglevel

No root= etc? I'd expect this to include a bunch more stuff, which is
mostly the same as your native boot.

> ramdisk=initrd.img-3.19.0-9-generic
> "
>
> I have also installed the xen entry with:
> "
>
> efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sdf -p 1 -L "Xen" -l "xen-4.5.1-pre.efi"
> "
[...]
> After looking around the internet I've found the rEFInd package with
> it's PPA, which after installation shows the xen-4.5.1-pre.efi and for
> this first problem for now, it is an acceptable workaround. Anyway to
> FIX THIS???

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI gives a slightly different set
of options to the efibootmgr command than you do, I don't knwo if they
are meaningful.

Also it implies that things are in a subdirectory of your EFI ESP, I
also don't know if that is relevant either, but it might be worth
reducing the differences.

Where did you place the various files? What filesystem is present there?

How does reFInd describe the Xen boot entry?

> Second Problem: After booting with the xen-4.5.1-pre.efi from REFIND
> Menu entry, the screen goes on loading drivers and everything goes
> right until these lines from dmesg (without timestamp, and skipping
> some entries:
> "
>
> ata10.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
> ata10: Link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> ata10: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
> ata10: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps
> ata10: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
> ata10: reset failed, giving up

Do these happen on native boot too? Is ata10 the controller which
connects to your rootfs?

> mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
> mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
> Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init.
> No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

This is the sort of message I would associate with a lack of root= on
your kernel command line (which is why I didn't immediately jump on the
ata errors as the cause).

> "
>
> After this point a am dropped in a initramfs shell.
>

> From this perspective, I've started from Google and read that it could
> be possibly a controller-hd related problem, but that doesn't make any
> sense since I can boot from UBUNTU normally even after rEFInd, so the
> only conclusion is that there is a problem while loading the SSD,
> which have already been loaded from using rEFInd, from inside the Xen
> Hypervisor or some other bug that I can't think somehow related to
> correctly.

Do you have two disks (HDD and SSD)? Which one contains the ESP?

> IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME TO FIX THESE OR EVEN DEBUG IT, I WOULD BE VERY
> GRATEFUL,

No need to shout.