Re: [Xen-users] want to recover data from dom-U in a failed raid array

Quoting Peter <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 04/02/2015 10:00 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 07:02 +0200, Jiri 'Ghormoon' Novak wrote:
Hi,
if pvm, likely you just can mount it.

no, it fails saying I need to specify the filesystem type, don't know why

if hvm, likely it has it's own MBR. either copy it out and run as domU
or loopmout it with offset (first partition will likely be at 1MB, if
there were more partitions you'll have to check where they start). I do
this when I want to boot domU directly on the metal :)

kpartx is a useful tool for loopback mounting raw images which have a
partition table in them, it'll create device mapper nodes for each
partition.

x[ml] block-attach can do it as well, eg:
xl block-attach 0 /dev/vg0/foo /dev/xvdc r

Peter

OK, I can check out these options.

Thanks,

Dave

"As long as politics is the shadow cast on society by big business,
the attenuation of the shadow will not change the substance."

-- John Dewey