Re: [Xen-users] Debugging DomU

  • To: Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Chris (Christopher) Brand" <chris.brand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 19:06:09 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 14 May 2015 19:06:45 +0000

Hi Julien,

>This is normal that address 0 is not mapped to any RAM. The memory layout of
>the guest (see xen/include/public/arch-arm.h) as the RAM guest defined in
>higher memory.
Ok. That seems to match what I'm seeing in the MMU - VTTBR for that guest
contains two L1 tables, one at 0 and one at 0x40000000 (GUEST_RAM_BASE). The
first is almost empty while the second has quite a few mappings. I assume VTTBR
is where I should be looking ?

>Although, vmlinux is using virtual address, so 0 is likely a virtual address.
>Do you know if the page table has been setup to the guest?
I see a call to p2m_alloc_table(), followed by a number of calls to
p2m_create_table().

>The error you describe in your mail is usually happening in the early setup.
That seems to be the case, yes. I haven't been able to see anything that's
happening in the VM before this.

>I don't think this is the bug, as said above we don't map anything to address
>0 and this is normal because it's not part of the layout.
Ok. It certainly wouldn't be surprising if I'm getting my address types mixed
up :-)

>It would be useful if you provide the version of Xen and Linux you use.
Xen is a recent git clone - cb34a7c8d741, with a couple of small hacks that we
needed to get to the point of Dom0 running on our platform (there's a change to
xen/drivers/char/ns16550.c to workaround a uart bug, and one to
xen/arch/platforms/brcm.c to set dom0_gnttab_start and dom0_gnttab_end).
Linux Kernel is 3.14. I took our kernel, enabled the various CONFIG options for
Xen and rebuilt it.

Thanks,

Chris