Re: [Xen-users] Grub interactive menu missing from Xen PVHVM DomU's 'serial console' output. All the other output is there - just the menu is missing?

Hi Ian

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 02:06 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> You mean you are either doing "xl create -c <cfg>" or you are doing "xl
> console <domain>" after the domain is running?

I launch with

xl create -c <cfg>

from a terminal I ssh'd into on the host.  That;s where I see all the console
output.

> > and then the grub2 menu and other output pops up in an X11 (bochs?)
> > window, but that's not what I want.
>
> FYI you can also use VNC, but that sounds like not what you want either.

Yep.  VNC works too.  I want to get to a shell-only solution though.

> The only diffeence I can see here vs what I would do is that you have
> GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT and _OUTPUT while I would just use:
>
>     GRUB_TERMINAL=serial
>
> I suspect they are equivalent though, or maybe it is distro specific (I use
> Debian).

Yep, they are in this case.

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Simple-configuration.html

  âGRUB_TERMINALâ  If this option is set, it overrides both
âGRUB_TERMINAL_INPUTâ and âGRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUTâ to the same value.

> You have GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 and TIMEOUT_QUIET=true doesn't that hide the
> menu[0]? I have "GRUB_TIMEOUT=5" but neither of the GRUB_HIDDEN_* options.

I thought not,

âGRUB_TIMEOUTâ

    Boot the default entry this many seconds after the menu is displayed,
unless a key is pressed. The default is â5â. Set to â0â to boot immediately
without displaying the menu, or to â-1â to wait indefinitely.
âGRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUTâ

    Wait this many seconds for a key to be pressed before displaying the menu.
If no key is pressed during that time, display the menu for the number of
seconds specified in GRUB_TIMEOUT before booting the default entry. We expect
that most people who use GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT will want to have GRUB_TIMEOUT set
to â0â so that the menu is not displayed at all unless a key is pressed. Unset
by default.
âGRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIETâ

    In conjunction with âGRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUTâ, set this to âtrueâ to suppress
the verbose countdown while waiting for a key to be pressed before displaying
the menu. Unset by default.

but maybe misread.

Changing to

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=yrue

I don't even see the blank space now.  Just a 10 second pause, then the boot
continues, with output to the console like before.

> What is in your guest configuration file? To have the serial port of an HVM
> guest come out of "xl console" (or "xl create -c") you need serial = "pty"
> in there, although given that you can see the kernel messages you might
> have that already.

Yep.  I already have that.  Like you noticed I already have all the
full/complete ouput.  No problems there