Re: [Xen-users] Domain-0

On 2016-01-27 11:27, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 16:18 +0000, Chris Arnold wrote:
On Jan 27, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

See the first hit on google for "xen domain 0" which is http://wiki.xen
proj
ect.org/wiki/Dom0 . It is the control domain, i.e. the thing which is
launched by Xen on boot where the tools reside, I think it is probably
what
you are referring to as the "physical OS".

It is very much a required part of the system. As to why it only showed
up
now I don't know (it's possible older libvirt shielded you from it) and
what that has to do with your performance issues neither. I'd suggest
that
you persist with SLES support.

Yea, I just read that domain-0 is a major piece and I should not shut it
down and delete. So is there a config file for xen domain-0 that I can
adjust the RAM usage? I realize suse does different things to your
software but if I have the xen config file for domain-0 I could find it
if suse puts it somewhere else.

There is no config file.

The amount of RAM which dom0 has can be set form the hypervisor command
line (search for "dom0_mem" in the hypervisor command line docs).

You can also adjust it later by using the same tools as you would use to
change the current memory assigned to a domU, assuming those tools aren't
hiding it from you for some reason.

I'd be willing to bet though that the actual amount of RAM assigned to Domain-0 hasn't changed though due to the upgrade, it's just that it's actually being visibly accounted now. Lowering that will lower the amount of RAM that your host/physical OS sees, which will likely impact your I/O performance for you other VM's.