Re: [Xen-users] I want to create a network for my Xen VM and need help.

Jason Long <hack3rcon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use Fedora 23 as dom0 and my current eth0 configuration is :

I can't really help then as I've never really liked RH/Fedora/CentOS systems
and don't use them.

> enp7s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
>         inet 172.30.9.20  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 172.30.9.255
>         inet6 fe80::52e5:49ff:fe40:c48f  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
>         ether 50:e5:49:40:c4:8f  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
>         RX packets 4870061  bytes 5217699196 (4.8 GiB)
>         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
>         TX packets 710609  bytes 50652946 (48.3 MiB)
>         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
>
> My questions are :
> 1- I use Fedora 23 as Dom0 and for create a bridge network in Xen what should
> I do?

Look up the documentation for your distro to see how to create a bridge.
LMGTFY ...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=create+network+bridge+fedora+23
The first hit is
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/23/html/Networking_Guide/ch-Configure_Network_Bridging.html

> 2- How about NAT? If I use "vif=['']" it mean NAT?

No. Again, it looks like you've not read anything for yourself.
The VIF statement connects a guests virtual NIC to a host's bridge. Whether
that connection is bridged or routed to the outside depends on the host's
network config.
I believe (it's not a config I use) that for the guests to be NATed to the
outside, then you'll need to create a bridge, assign an internal IP to it, but
do *NOT* attach the external interface (enp7s0 in this case) to it. You then
need to configure your network to MASQ traffic between the bridge and the
external interface.

> 3- How about Static IP? If I use "vif=[192.168.1.1]" then it mean static IP?

No, you *really* have not read any documentation yet have you ?
AIUI, specifying an IP address in the VIF statement can be used for configuring
firewall rules when a guest is created - it does not configure the guest. The
guest is configured using the tools available in the guest - whether that's
manual config or DHCP. Other clauses you can add to the VIF statement are to
specify the bridge to connect to (some of my systems have many bridges), or a
fixed MAC address (at work I run monitoring systems that alert on MAC changes
to detect network problem and changes).