Re: [Xen-users] xenfs: not registering fielsystem on no-xen platform

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Austin S. Hemmelgarn" <ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 14:34:41 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2016 18:35:48 +0000

On 2016-05-12 13:26, jrun wrote:
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 12:23:14PM -0400, jrun wrote:
i don't think i have a serial console on this asus desktop mb unless there
is a trick to get something out of usb?

--jrun

hmm, doesn't xen have netconsole?
Linux does, but I don't think Xen does.

You probably do have a serial port on your motherboard, it's just a header on the MB instead of an external connector. The external connector has fallen out of favor because it's big and not much uses it anymore, but I have yet to see a commercially available x86 desktop motherboard that doesn't have at least one 16655A UART hooked up to an internal header so that a serial console can be used for debugging.

If you're using an Intel system and have a CPU which supports vPro, you may also be able to get a network console via AMT, although some BIOS/UEFI configuration UI's don't properly support console redirection. Taking that approach may also require some extra command-line parameters for Xen, but I'm not 100% certain about that.