Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboots

> Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 09:49:01 +0200
> From: Daniel Widenfalk <Daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboots
>
> On 2016-06-06 03:22, Ray wrote:
> >
> > Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboots
> >

> > To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > From: Daniel Widenfalk <Daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 22:52:36 +0200
> > Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 20:53:33 +0000

> >> * Are you using EFI or legacy boot?
> >> * How far do you get? Do you get the quick "Loading XEN..." thing at the
> >> start? Do you start seeing the xen pre-boot phase?
> >
> >> /Daniel W.
> > ______________________________
> >

> > Daniel,
> >

> > Thank you:
> >

> > This is an EFI boot.
> >

> > Once at the boot menu and the 5 seconds lapsed, the system went blank and started booting.
> >
> > Ray
>
> Hi,
>
> I've found that both Jessie and Stretch seem to have an error in their
> grub code for xen. The grub code does not recognize "efi" as a valid
> grub platform and therefore applies no-real-mode and eff=off to xen.
> "no-real-mode" means you will not get a VGA console and edd=off means
> xen will not fetch "Extended Disc Data" (whatever that means) from the
> bios.
>
> On my new system I had to edit /etc/grub/20_linux_xen (line 126) and
> add "efi" as a recognized boot platform:
>
> ---- Lines 125 - 30:
> echo '$(echo "$xmessage" | grub_quote)'
> if [ "\$grub_platform" = "pc" -o "\$grub_platform" = "efi" -o "\$grub_platform" = "" ]; then
> xen_rm_opts=
> else
> xen_rm_opts="no-real-mode edd=off"
> fi
> ----
>
> After making this change I got a working xen/linux vga console and could
> see what was going on. I hope this helps :)
>
> Best regards
> /Daniel Widenfalk

Daniel,

Thank you.  The change looks straight forward.  I only altered the one line by adding the "efi" test.  The other lines matched what was in the file.  There was no change in the system response.

So I also removed the 'noreboot' from grub command line for Xen.  There was no change in the system response.

Then I commented out all the lines listed above except for the:
xen_rm_opts=
There still was no change in the system response.

After rebooting, selecting Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux (with Xen), then
Xen hyperviser , version 4.6-amd64, then
Debian GNU/Linux with Xen 4.6-amd64 and Linux 4.5.0-2-amd64

the system hangs on a screen:
 warning: no console will be available to  OS

And the system is hung.

So it seems there is still a problem.

Is there anything that may stop the /etc/grub/20_linux_xen from being loaded?  Or possibly something that skips the grub-platform test section?

Ray