Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboots

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Daniel Widenfalk <Daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 17:44:33 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 15:45:55 +0000

Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 13:48:12 -0700
From: "russo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <russo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Continuously Reboots

You maybe allocating too much memory to your guests.
Russo,

Thank you.  I can really use the help as I have not been able to get a
VM running yet.
The machine has 16 GB of RAM.  I had included a line to limit the guest
RAM to 2GB.  Xen would still not boot.  Then I removed the limits and
still Xen would not boot.

As far as I can tell you've yet to manage to boot your Dom0 so
your guests have not yet started. You can also assign a hard locked
amount of memory to your Dom0 and disable balooning (the process of
dynamically adjusting the amount of memory that a guest have available).

Would a VM with a high RAM demand stop Xen from booting?  I thought a VM
would not run until after Xen us up.  I could delete the VM
configuration and try to boot to Xen, then there would be no VM demand
on memory.

I would suggest you disable (i.e. move the config files to a safe
location) rather than deleting your domUs. First priority should be
to get your dom0 booted and you logged in as root :)

What xen options have you set up in /etc/default/grub? My
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN does not contain anything related to the vga
console so that should not be an issue. (don't forget to run
update-grub! I'm forgetting it about every other update...)

When you do a bare metal boot of your linux, is your graphics
driver being loaded as a module or are you using ye good old
vga console?

Is your dom0 set up to use a desktop or are you booting a text-mode
server only system? It might be worth disabling anything desktop:y
until you've sorted the boot issues.

I've swapped over my dom0 to use the sysv init system (I'm an old dog,
don't want to learn to sit in a new fancy way) but remember that there
was a significant delay from the first boot message until I got access
to my console. How long have you waited? (I'm guessing 60+ seconds)

Regards
/Daniel W

Ray