Re: [Xen-users] Wrong version of xen-utils after building xen from source causes xen to exit with error

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Brett Stahlman <brettstahlman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ** Update **
> Following recommendations on a page dealing with the installation of
> multiple versions of Xen side-by-side, I re-ran configure like this...
>
> configure --prefix=/home/bstahlman/install/xen \
> --sysconfdir=/home/bstahlman/install/xen/etc \
> --enable-rpath
>
> ...and was then able to run xl by specifying the path to the sbin/xl
> under the directory specified with --prefix.
>
> Aside: I also had to add this line to /etc/fstab...
>
> none /proc/xen xenfs defaults 0 0
>
> ...and I have to start the xencommons service manually like so:
>
> sudo ~/install/xen/etc/init.d/xencommons start
>
> But now I'm able to run xen-create-image to create an ubuntu guest:
> sudo xen-create-image --hostname ubuntu-test --dhcp --dir
> ~/xen/images/ --size=4G --role=udev
>
> (Note that I had to use the script installed by package manager, as I
> don't see a version of xen-create-image under my custom install
> directory). Strangely, xen-create-image gives what looks like an
> error...
>
> ERROR: Can't find version 4.8 of xen utils, bailing out!
>
> ...but the command appears to work, and I'm able to start the guest by
> running xl on the resulting config file:
> sudo ./install/xen/sbin/xl create /etc/xen/ubuntu-test.cfg -c
>
> The problem occurs when I attempt to create an HVM guest:
> $ sudo ~/install/xen/sbin/xl create ~/cfg/xen/xl-ubuntu-hvmloader.cfg -c
> Parsing config from /home/bstahlman/cfg/xen/xl-ubuntu-hvmloader.cfg
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:562:libxl__domain_make: domain creation
> fail: Invalid argument
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:904:initiate_domain_create: cannot make domain:
> -3
>
> I initially assumed the error must be due to the options in the config
> file (pasted at the end), but when I ran the xl create command in gdb,
> I discovered that the option parsing was successful: the error occurs
> because the ioctl() call in the following function returns -1:

ioctl returns -1 on failure and then sets the global variable 'errno'.
If you see above, libxl itself gives you the appropriate
interpretation of errno -- "Invalid argument".

Given that your config file doesn't seem to have anything strange in
it, I would suspect that you're still having some sort of issue where
you're running the wrong set of tools (or perhaps the wrong library)
for the Xen version that you're running.

As an aside, another useful trick if you want to build from source is
to use "make debball".  That will create a .deb package you can
install and remove easily.  The key thing is this debball is NOT A
COMPLETE PACKAGE -- you still need to run ldconfig and everything
manually, just as you would if you'd run "make install".  It's just a
lot easier to remove and/or update than "make install", since dpkg
keeps track of all the files for you.

Good luck,
 -George