Re: [Xen-users] Wrong version of xen-utils after building xen from source causes xen to exit with error

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:32 AM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Brett Stahlman <brettstahlman@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> ** Update **
>> Following recommendations on a page dealing with the installation of
>> multiple versions of Xen side-by-side, I re-ran configure like this...
>>
>> configure --prefix=/home/bstahlman/install/xen \
>> --sysconfdir=/home/bstahlman/install/xen/etc \
>> --enable-rpath
>>
>> ...and was then able to run xl by specifying the path to the sbin/xl
>> under the directory specified with --prefix.
>>
>> Aside: I also had to add this line to /etc/fstab...
>>
>> none /proc/xen xenfs defaults 0 0
>>
>> ...and I have to start the xencommons service manually like so:
>>
>> sudo ~/install/xen/etc/init.d/xencommons start
>>
>> But now I'm able to run xen-create-image to create an ubuntu guest:
>> sudo xen-create-image --hostname ubuntu-test --dhcp --dir
>> ~/xen/images/ --size=4G --role=udev
>>
>> (Note that I had to use the script installed by package manager, as I
>> don't see a version of xen-create-image under my custom install
>> directory). Strangely, xen-create-image gives what looks like an
>> error...
>>
>> ERROR: Can't find version 4.8 of xen utils, bailing out!
>>
>> ...but the command appears to work, and I'm able to start the guest by
>> running xl on the resulting config file:
>> sudo ./install/xen/sbin/xl create /etc/xen/ubuntu-test.cfg -c
>>
>> The problem occurs when I attempt to create an HVM guest:
>> $ sudo ~/install/xen/sbin/xl create ~/cfg/xen/xl-ubuntu-hvmloader.cfg -c
>> Parsing config from /home/bstahlman/cfg/xen/xl-ubuntu-hvmloader.cfg
>> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:562:libxl__domain_make: domain creation
>> fail: Invalid argument
>> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:904:initiate_domain_create: cannot make domain:
>> -3
>>
>> I initially assumed the error must be due to the options in the config
>> file (pasted at the end), but when I ran the xl create command in gdb,
>> I discovered that the option parsing was successful: the error occurs
>> because the ioctl() call in the following function returns -1:
>
> ioctl returns -1 on failure and then sets the global variable 'errno'.
> If you see above, libxl itself gives you the appropriate
> interpretation of errno -- "Invalid argument".
>
> Given that your config file doesn't seem to have anything strange in
> it, I would suspect that you're still having some sort of issue where
> you're running the wrong set of tools (or perhaps the wrong library)
> for the Xen version that you're running.
>
> As an aside, another useful trick if you want to build from source is
> to use "make debball".  That will create a .deb package you can
> install and remove easily.  The key thing is this debball is NOT A
> COMPLETE PACKAGE -- you still need to run ldconfig and everything
> manually, just as you would if you'd run "make install".  It's just a
> lot easier to remove and/or update than "make install", since dpkg
> keeps track of all the files for you.

Hmm... I never ran ldconfig after the `make install', so perhaps that
could have been the issue?

Just yesterday, I was able to build the package obtained with `apt-get
source' using the following command:

sudo dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

But this is a bit tedious because each time I want to tweak a file
(e.g., to put in some debug printf's), I have to run the debian
"quilt" utility to make a patch. I would prefer to just modify source
and rebuild. Wasn't aware of the "debball" target. Also, didn't
realize it was necessary to run ldconfig after installing a package
with dpkg. What's the standard way to run ldconfig in this case? If I
built package without using configure to change default paths, which
directory(s) need to be passed to ldconfig (or are the defaults
sufficient)?

When I built with dkpg-buildpackage, I got a handful of .debs: e.g.,
xen-hypervisor, xenstore, xen-utils, xen-system. Would it be best to
run `dpkg -i' on these files individually, or drop them all in a
directory and run dpkg on that? (I haven't used dpkg standalone much,
and want to be sure the dependencies are handled properly.)

Thanks for your help.
Brett S.