Re: [Xen-users] PVH and AMD

On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 18:50 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> I'm running xen-4.6-amd64.gz as provided by ubuntu and have been
> trying
> to change my guest domains to run as PVH, without success.
>
> Following the instructions here: https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Linux_PVH ;
> guest creation kept failing with "Invalid argument".
>
> Near the bottom of the page I found this: "Things that are broken",
> with
> the note:
>
>    "Does not work with AMD hardware."
>
> The page is dated 15 December 2014.
>
> Is that still valid?  If so, are there any plans to include AMD
> processors with PVH support?  Again, if so, does anybody have any
> idea
> when that may be and with which processors?

Yes, you're right: the PVH code you're mentioning and trying, never
actually gained AMD support (neither it did gain a bunch of other
things).

As described here:
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Software_Overview#PVH

Couple of years ago, we started an effort to re-architect, re-implement
and re-brand PVH, and a lot of pieces are ready, available and tested
these days.

This new incarnation of PVH (most of the times called either PVHv2 or
HVMLite) will indeed run on AMD boxes.

I'm adding Roger and Boris, in case they want to add more details. In
the meanwhile, you can have a look at Roger's last talks about the
subject:
https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/iaas_towahvm/
https://archive.fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/freebsd_xen/

There will be a session about PVH, at our next design and development
summit:
https://xendeveloperanddesignsummit2017.sched.com/event/AjEh/pvh-dom0-the-road-so-far-roger-pau-monne-citrix
(even if you can't come, watch this space, recording are usually made
available).

Regards,
Dario