Re: [Xen-users] Chef Architecture for a Laptop Running Xen

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ray Joseph <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 15:10:16 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 15:41:54 +0000

Mark,

I installed from the Debian website via net install.  All packages are installed via apt-get from the website.  The only  thing not from the website is the wifi driver that comes from the Intel website and loaded from USB during installation.  My goal has been to minimize all packages to keep the dom0 foot print minimal.  I use apt-get update before each package - now.  This is a very light-weight experiment, but I am a light-weight user.

I have broken the system many times.  I have choose to rebuild as each time because I could not find a cause or solution to whatever I broke.  Part of the problem is that I have not kept track of the configuration changes.  This is the purpose of pursuing Chef.  Thus my question:

How might I setup Chef for this?  Should I run Chef directly on the laptop?  My only other machine is Windows 10.  It looks like I could use a free Amazon or other free or cheap service.

I have two major drivers for Chef

1) Keep track of config during experimentation to know where I am, to plan the next steps and track what I have done

2) Readily recover the system the next time I severely break it.

How might I setup Chef?

Thanks,

Ray

"experimental building of Debian 9.1 as dom0 "
If you actually start with a source build from upstream Xen, be sure to use the packaging utils in tools/misc/mkdeb, or use the deball rule, `make deball`. You can isolate your build in a pbuilder chroot, or build in a VM. Its very sound to install from packages, rather than `make install` as root.

I can only guess what you are doing, but if you broke it 30 times you might not be using distro packages. BTW, those Stretch Xen distro packages are not working as they should for HVM installs. The Xen packages are lagging, last built in May 2017, while the qemu-system-x86 package is current for 9.1.
PryMar56##xen-packageing on Freenode