Re: [Xen-users] Reading a DomU's memory from Dom0 or Xen hypervisor

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 10:54:18PM +0000, Brett Stahlman wrote:

>> > libxc doesn't have a stable interface, libxenforeignmemory OTOH is
>> > stable, so you should aim at using the later, or else you
>> > implementation might be tied to a specific Xen version.
>>
>> Can you point me to documentation on building custom userspace apps
>> (and/or LKMs) against Xen libraries such as libxenforeignmemory?
>> (Alternatively, a link to an open source project that does it would be
>> helpful.) I'm thinking macros like CFLAGS_libxenforeignmemory (defined
>> in tools/Rules.mk) would be useful, but my initial attempt to include
>> Rules.mk from a makefile outside the Xen source tree resulted in an
>> error that led me to suspect that the file was meant to be used only
>> within the Xen build framework. Considered adding a C file under
>> components/apps/xen/xen-src/tools/misc and updating
>> tools/misc/Makefile accordingly, but monkeying around in the Xen
>> source tree didn't seem right...
>
> The main user of libxenforeignmemory is QEMU. No, you shouldn't use
> any of the Xen Makefiles, that's for internal use only.
>
> I would expect that you need to include the header and link against
> the library during the build process, but I'm no expert in user-space
> libraries. There are .pc files for the libraries, so pkgconfig [0] can
> probably help.

Ok. I had actually tried this approach, but I guess there's some sort
of conflict between the Xen headers (included by xenforeignmemory.h)
and my cross-compiler toolchain. I'm attempting to build Xen as part
of a larger system that uses Petalinux, which likely introduces its
own set of idiosyncrasies. Will keep digging, and will see whether
anyone on a more petalinux-focused mailing list has any suggestions...

Thanks,
Brett S.