Re: [Xen-users] matching Qemu version to Xen version, how critical?

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 04:47:37PM -0700, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Anthony, and Stefano, see below.  I haven't investigated at all.
> >
> > Mark: I think you are probably fine to use the Debian version.
>
> Yes, Ian is right.
>
> In the past upstream QEMU didn't do a very good job at applying fixes to
> stable trees, so I haven't been looking closely for changes there. In
> fact, it often happened that the qemu-xen stable trees would have more
> fixes than the corresponding QEMU stable trees.
>
> It is very good to see that this has changed. Many fixes were applied to
> qemu/stable-2.8, that today are not in qemu-xen/stable-4.9. But we can
> start backporting now. Anthony, would you be up for watching the QEMU
> stable trees more closely and backporting fixes from there to the
> qemu-xen stable trees going forward?

From my observation, there is one stable release for every new QEMU
release, but there is no stable tree (at least not the way stable tree
are maintained for xen).

For e.g., for QEMU 2.10, release in August, there is one stable release
2.10.1 released 1 month later, and I don't expect any other stable
release. The stable-2.10 branch was not updated/created between both
release.

As for watching those releases, yes, I can do that, as soon as I figure
out when I can update the qemu-xen tree of a released Xen version. I
never asked.

Regards,

--
Anthony PERARD