Re: [Xen-users] VCPUs vs Cores

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: admin <admin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:44:16 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 13:25:41 +0000

Am Mittwoch, den 25.10.2017, 08:08 +0100 schrieb Simon Hobson:
> Kun Cheng <chengkunck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I am asking because one of the limitations of the free
> > > SQL Server Express is that it is utilizing max 1 CPU / 4 cores.
> > You can pin those vcpus to cpu cores in either your vm
> > configurations or via xl command line.
>
> I don't think that was the question he was asking ...
exactly

> As I read it, the software he is using is restricted to ONE CPU but
> up to 4 cores in that one CPU. Running under Xen, passing multiple
> cores through results in a VM with multiple single core CPUs. So
> instead of being able to utilise 4 cores in the "real" CPU, it's
> limited to just one because of this abstraction.
that's correct

> Or put another way, due to licensing restrictions, he really needs a
> VM with 4-core virtual CPU(s) where each core is mapped to a real
> core.
This is the case if e.g. passing vcpus 4-7 to this VM while pinning
tp vcpus 4-7. In theory these are might be my second Xeon Core - but
how can I check how windows "sees this piece of hardware"?
Is it like 1 CPU with 4 cores, or 4 CPUs, each having 1 core?