Re: [Xen-users] VCPUs vs Cores

Kun Cheng <chengkunck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I am asking because one of the limitations of the free
>> SQL Server Express is that it is utilizing max 1 CPU / 4 cores.

> You can pin those vcpus to cpu cores in either your vm configurations or via
> xl command line.

I don't think that was the question he was asking ...
As I read it, the software he is using is restricted to ONE CPU but up to 4
cores in that one CPU. Running under Xen, passing multiple cores through
results in a VM with multiple single core CPUs. So instead of being able to
utilise 4 cores in the "real" CPU, it's limited to just one because of this
abstraction.

Or put another way, due to licensing restrictions, he really needs a VM with
4-core virtual CPU(s) where each core is mapped to a real core.